Owatonna Self Storage
Make a complete list of all stored items, including brand names and serial numbers. Keep this list in a safe place away from the storage unit.
Check with your homeowners or renters insurance for coverage of your items. Owatonna Self Storage does not provide insurance for your belongings. Insurance can be purchased from Repwest Insurance Company. For additional information please talk to the on-site manager.
- Place pallets or 2x4’s on the floor of the unit. This will allow air to circulate through your goods and along the floor. Do not lay cardboard or plastic on the floor as condensation can result.
- Leave an aisle for easy access to all items. Leave a small space between walls and boxes to allow for air circulation.
- List contents of boxes on several sides; number boxes for inventory and seal with tape.
- Place the most valuable items away from the door. Use caution when your storage unit is open. Do not advertise your items to potential crooks.
- Put the largest items into the unit first. Protect mattresses and box springs with pads and covers. Keep them from touching the concrete floor.
- Wrap mirrors and pictures with cardboard or blankets. Stand up on edge, never store flat.
- Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper or bubble wrap and stored in a sturdy box. Stack these boxes on top to avoid damage.
- Furniture with drawers can be used to store fragile items including knick-knacks, silverware, china and pictures. Wrap items in tablecloths, towels or blankets to prevent damage.
- Store frequently used items in front.
- Keep important paper near the front in an easy assessable container.
- Stack heavy boxes on the bottom and lighter “fragile” boxes on top. Fill boxes to capacity.
- Keep upholstery off the floor. Cover furniture with a light cotton sheet or place in a plastic bag. Allow air to circulate around bottom and sides.
- To help prevent rodents, do not store food items of any kind. Do not store shampoo, toothpaste, etc. as they can attract rodents or pests.
- Use shelving if possible to maximize storage space.
- Clean refrigerator and freezers. Keep doors ajar and don’t forget to use interior space for extra storage.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty garage containers.
- Tables having removable legs should be disassembled to save space.
When storing automobiles, motorcycles or riding lawnmowers, place a piece of cardboard under the engine and transmission to prevent damage to the concrete floor.
Do not store any combustibles. (Paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, paint, explosives, flammable liquids or toxic material.) Drain gasoline from engines before storing.
Cylinder locks are provided by Owatonna Self Storage. If desired, you may add an additional padlock. Use a quality lock as a cheap lock will rust and does not provide good security.
If you have questions or have a specific need please contact the manager at the rental office.